Friday, November 28, 2008

A.C.T. 1: Scene 1

Well, as you may or may not have guessed from the title I am in Canberra in the Australian Capitol Territory (A.C.T., hence the title). I stand satisfied, or perhaps more accurately sit uncomfortable, at the end of my first day in the city (also hence the title). It has, on the whole, been an eventful day. A very (very) kind friend of mine took me to the airport at five O' Clock this morning. Although we got there before 5.30 this had no influence over the fact that my plane left at 6.35, leaving a good hour for luggage drop-off, toilet stuff and general meandering.

The flight, oh the flight. The plane roared along the runway, and then soared out over the ocean, covering the intervening distance in seconds, regardless of its minor enormity. Everything became smaller much faster than I had expected. And then we passed into the clouds. Excluding the frostbite and hopelessness I imagine that this was much like the phenomenon known as "white out" in the polar regions. And then a vast landscape was spread before me. Great mountains, deep valleys and caves so large that they could hold the dragons of mythology, all made of a vapour so thin that I had just been immersed in it and was still able to see wisps of it coming from the engine. Yes, the clouds were my favourite bit. Can you tell that I am a first time flyer? Oh, and also, the landing was a bit disconcerting. I had not realised they were so bumpy.


Window Seat

Well, after a beautiful flight, on which I was glued to the window like a child who has discovered an exhibit marked "lethal vipers and mongooses" at an otherwise boring zoo, and three breakfasts (pre-flight, mid-flight and post-flight) I spent the rest of the day war memorialisin', being lost in a shopping centre or just meandering with my colleagues. Oh yes, did I mention, I'm in Canberra for a conference of Evangelical Students called SPRTE. I am now accepting entries for my "guess the acronym" contest (prize to be advised) (Clue: 'P' doesn't stand for Paladin) (OK, so that's not actually a real clue).

Canberra Fire Hydrant: Oddity


Well, I suppose that's that. My apologies for this blatant narrative of my day. No great insights here.

John

No comments: